Since I can't figure out a way to make this post tie together topic-wise, I'm going to do this in list form:
1) I've seen at least three different dudebros riding child-sized bikes around campus today. Is this a thing now? For comedic purposes, I hope so -- the size difference between the dudebros and their bikes was pretty damn funny -- but, on the other hand, it just seems...pointless. I don't get it but, then again, I'm aware that I live under a pretty giant metaphorical rock. Thoughts from people who don't?
2) In the course of poking around the internet this morning (as you do), I stumbled across a quite fascinating article indeed
examining how the wackier fundies misinterpret, misconstrue, or otherwise warp a few common biblical passages in order to condemn homosexuality (and all the reasons -- including historical context and talking about language -- why they're wrong). For a bonus point that ought to shut said wacky fundies up, the author has a doctoral degree from a biblical seminary and has been studying the Bible exhaustively for the last 50 years.
For an example of a fascinating point from the article, did y'all know that neither Hebrew nor Ancient Greek (aka significant biblical languages) have a specific word for 'homosexual'? I sure as hell didn't, and I'm a language geek. So really, it's an informative read (and pretty entertainingly written).
Side note: surprisingly enough, I found this article in the comments section of an ohnotheydidnt
post. Go figure.
3) Internets, as some of you might have noticed, I occasionally hate my life (and frequently bitch about it). That isn't news though. This new reason why, however, is:
The sociology department of my university is sponsoring a study abroad trip to Poland. POLAND. I could pay an obscene amount of money to geek out about World War II (and Poland in general anyway, since I think it's interesting in its own right) and possibly visit the at least five Polish flisters that I can recall off the top of my head
and maybe just possibly stalk Paweł a little
Except I can't, for three reasons:
1) I can't afford it, and my family can't afford to spot me the money because one of my folks is having hip surgery in *glances at calendar* about a month and a half.
2) Because of said hip surgery, I have to spend all summer at the Ol' Homestead playing nursemaid/chaffeur and helping the physical therapist. I'm only slightly annoyed by this because it's relevant to my academic interests, but it's going to be...trying....nonetheless.
3) There are two summer classes I have to take in order to graduate on time.
Raptor Jesus (or whoever else happens to be listening up there), why can't I have nice things -- or, rather, why do nice things have to be so fucking expensive
(and badly timed)? I realize that I have it pretty good for the most part, but some of these lost opportunities I keep getting faced with are just cruel
Oh well, at least I found a way to sneak a Stark gif into this post (and to even make it relevant, wonder of wonders). Small blessings and all that.
"I am a part of all that I have seen..." -- Alfred Lord Tennyson